What better time to do a post on how to pack a travel makeup bag other than when I am about to travel right? So here I am transiting in SL, waiting for some last minute documentation to come through and head on a nice little summer vacation to an undisclosed place 😉
In the mean time let me show you what I’ve packed.
This looks like a lot. And yeah maybe it is. But other than those few extra eye palettes, everything else is my day to day makeup. Plus it’s for a slightly longish trip so I needed a few extras to avoid regret!
To make sure you don’t miss anything, I suggest you follow a check list or pack things in the sequence you apply your makeup, so you go step by step and don’t forget anything. I have a nasty habit of leaving mascaras and eye primers behind, so I have finally, FINALLY got a checklist ready to make sure I don’t leave things behind in future!
So here’s a list of what would essentially be in my travel makeup bag.
1) Foundation (Or BB cream, tinted moisturizer depending on preference)
2) Primer* (Essential if you want to keep your foundation in place. No time for touch ups when you are busy relaxing or just having fun right?)
4) Setting Powder (I use the Chanel Les Beiges in 02 and I also packed a little sample of my La Mer powder in a Sephora jar as well!)
5) Finishing Powder (Optional)
6) Bronzer (Optional)
7) Blush (One pink and one coral toned is ideal so that there’s something that matches your lipstick choices, if you wear deeper shades of lipstick, a nude or a beige blush will be good to have as well)
8) Highlighter (I didn’t pack a separate highlighter as I plan on using the lightest shade of my Edward Bess Quad Royale! Love a good multitasker)
9) Eye Primer
10) Eyeshadow palettes (Easier to travel with than packing a load of singles. I usually pick one neutral quad for daytime and a smokey quad for night, I also pack a peachy shade too cos I am obsessed with peach and can’t live without a peach fix even while I’m on vacay!)
11) Eye liner (Liquid or khol liner depending on preference. And if you are heading somewhere beachy, some colourful waterproof eyeliners are a great addition since they are a fun, easy way to update a neutral day time look with minimal effort, and the best part is, they take up very little space and I love throwing a few of those in)
13) Lash curler (Optional)
14) Brow products (Pencil or powder or BOTH if you are brow obsessed like me)
15) Lip products (I usually pack reds and nudes as they are easy to pair up with my daily looks)
So here’s more close ups of what I packed. I used my Laura Mercier Artists portfolio to pack a majority of these.
The foundation + Kevyn Aucoin SSE + primer ( I packed in a zip lock bag), lash curlers (in their original box) and the massive It Palette, they all went in my cabin bag safe and sound, tucked between my clothes for extra cushioning. The Guerlain travel Meteorites though I packed in their original box and put it in my hand luggage as it’s packaging is fragile. I don’t want to have to deal with a cracked jar while on vacay! Instant fun spoiler >.< .
As you can see I went to town with lip products and eyeshadows, of course this is totally unnecessary and you don’t have to pack that much! In this case the eyeshadows were packed mainly cos I want to test them out for upcoming blog posts, and the extra lipsticks though are simply cos I like having tonnes of choice in the lip department as it’s usually an easy way to tie an outfit together and look well groomed without much effort. Normally I transfer all of these into a little pouch when I arrive at my destination so that they are in one place for easy access when I put my makeup on.
So there you have it. Packing made simple. Of course many things I included are luxuries to have while on vacay. But if you are like me and consider your daily makeup routine more of a relaxing ritual, then all of these are essentials 😉
Finally, thank you for dropping by today, I wish you all a wonderful weekend, and don’t forget to enter the Benefit Giveaway thats open to Singapore residents (P.S- make sure you read the giveaway instructions well so that your entry qualifies for the giveaway).
18 thoughts on “Packing a travel makeup bag”
Reblogged this on beautywithruby and commented:
Can’t wait to go on my trip in a few weeks! This will be helpful
A fantastic selection as always! I also have the Laura Mercier portfolio-you can get a lot in! Happy holidays!!
Stacey Expat Make-Up Addict xx
I’m drooling. What a beautiful spread and fun post. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much 🙂 I am glad you enjoyed reading it!\
Wishing you a fabulous weekend.
Thank you :0) I hope your weekend is great as well!
wow! what a collection! drooooll 🙂
Omg ! I need these Guerlain travel météorites !!! 💕💕💕
So much product envy going on right now….! I bought the Laura Mercier travel case, but the smaller size. Wish I’d opted for the bigger one as the smaller size is just that bit too small. Great selection of products here 🙂 xxx
Wow wow wow how very organized! Can’t believe I only followed your blog now!
Thank you so much 🙂 I hope you continue to enjoy future posts! xx
Quick question…what is the travel makeup carrier that you are using? I love how organized it is and it looks like a perfect fit for a carry-on suitcase. (: Thanks in advance!
Hi Vanessa, It’s a makeup portfolio by Laura Mercier 🙂 I believe it was limited edition.
Thanks so much! And all of your photos are stunning! (:
That’s a great article, Michelle! By the way one tip from me – when a pack my make up I always put a cotton pad on my compact powder so it stays between the powder and the little mirror, this way the pad protects the powder from braking.
Hi Aria, thank you for sharing that very helpful tip! 🙂
What is the brand of the mini (Travel) Toiletry Bag Makeup Pouch, where you have the tweezer and scissors? And where can i buy it? Thx
The items were purchased separately 🙂 The pouch is by Muji, tweezer from Tweezerman. Not sure where my scissor is from. But I think i’ve lost it!
Thank you, i found the pouch 🙂