So I wasn’t planning on reviewing these, but here I am! Let’s talk about NARS Lip Covers from Summer.
According to NARS,
Lip Covers are a highly pigmented liquid lipstick for a high fashion effect. Lip Covers deliver saturated slicks of coastal colour steeped in exclusivity & ease. Rich & lustrous. Luminous finish.
The packaging is similar to the NARS glosses in size and shape, except these sport an all black exterior in matte black. They are difficult to keep clean as with most NARS packaging, highly prone to collecting fingerprints and stains as you’d expect.
The wand is a straight forward doe foot.
The tapered edge makes neat application a breeze and the flocked applicator smooths out the product with no streaks.
There has been much debate about the finish of the Lip Covers. Most bloggers comments were that they are a soft matte.
To put the confusion to rest, they are a cream finish. Think Armani Maestro liquid lipsticks. They aren’t glossy and they aren’t matte. It’s an in between creamy formula. Comfortable on the lips and hydrating in comparison to other liquid lipsticks on the market right now. Which are mostly matte as the current trend.
These Lip Covers are highly pigmented delivering awesome colour payoff in a single swipe (as seen above). They glide on like butter. No weird streaks to correct, no unevenness.
Here’s what they look like worn. 1st swatch is a single layer application. As you can see, opaque and smoothing. I like that they don’t emphasise lip lines.
The bottom swatch is after a single blot. I prefer the softer effect blotting creates and it’s how i’d normally wear them.
The colour still looks vibrant, but with a dulled shine. Low maintenance too since there’s less room to transfer &/or slide around therefore prolongs wear time.
Longevity & wear.
These wore around 4-5 hours on me. And since the colour is quite similar to my natural lips, the fading wasn’t obvious. I believe the reds would need to be reapplied more frequently.
Overall I found this to be very comfortable worn. No dryness or flaking. It’s a perfect formula in my eyes.
On to some comparisons I put together.
Clearly I had no difficulty rounding up a lineup of pink and peachy nudes! They are my favourite. Here’s how they compare.
1.Mac Kinda Sexy is more matte in comparison, lighter in tone and peachier.
2. Mac Whirl contains more brown tones and deeper.
3. Get Dirty is a warm medium to deep nude with terracotta tones.
4. Estée Lauder Naked Ambition* is one of my favourite nude liquid lipsticks. This has more of a neutral beige brown colour. Comfortable formula and quite similar in texture to NARS. I find these less pigmented and lustrous though.
5. By Terry Lady Bare* is slightly paler with less warm tones. Also less pigmented with semi opaque coverage. This one feels ‘wet’ on the lips.
6. Gerard Cosmetics Serenity* is more truer peachy nude. Also completely different in formula as this dries down to a solid matte.
7. Anastasia Crush* is a dusty, rosy light/medium pink. The most lightweight liquid lipstick I own and a true matte formula. Quite comfortable and a nice everyday MLBB shade. Best for fair skin tones as it’s deceivingly paler on the lips (contains a lot of white pigment and can look ashy).
8. Tom Ford First Time (matte). A lighter peachy pink nude. Quite similar to MAC Kinda Sexy but a better formula in terms of pigment.
9. Estée Lauder Pure Colour Envy in Potent is a paler pinky nude. The formula is creamy and hydrating though less pigmented than the NARS Lip Covers.
I really like these Lip Covers. Pigmented, comfortable on the lips and lasts well throughout the day. Touch ups aren’t difficult either as these don’t get crusty like most liquid lipstick formulas. Definitely a product to consider if you like a bold statement.
Note – If you prefer a liquid lip colour that doesn’t transfer, and sets, these AREN”T for you. There are other bulletproof products/formulations in the market that’ll suit your needs better.
For swatches of all 4 shades, you can check out my previous NARS summer preview post. Here.
Pricing & Availability
I believe I paid around SGD 45 for this.
Available at Tangs Orchard.